Saturday, March 19, 2011

Passion...

...is defined by Wikipedia as a very strong feeling for a person or thing... Well... I am talking about the thing not the person.. :P

What's your passion in life? What's that one thing which interests you? What is it that you wanna do or be in life? I really admire people who actually identify this and achieve it. The people who are happy in the work they do. It's not stressful but enjoyable to them. Majority of us get caught in the rat race from the start. From having to score the highest in class during schooling to bagging a job which offers a high pay. How many of us spend time on evaluating our strengths and deciding the right career path? How many parents today identify the child's skill and encourage it.

Finally when we do end up in a well paid but regular job, we get caught in the routine and the frustration gets to us. I am probably in that phase. I do like programming and logical challenges. But now I am constantly bothered by the question, is this what I would want to do all my life? To top it, I'm just a couple of years into my career. Is this just a passing phase? Does everyone go through it? Even if it is, what bothers me is that I'll just settle for it and keep compromising all my life just like how it is with another umpteen things in life.

How do I identify what'll make me happy? Professions like Architecture, Writing, Editing, Journalism etc always interested me. Sadly I never had the courage to think on it and pursue any of it. Its not just me, I hear it from a lot of my friends too. One of them has a passion for dancing, she even wants to quit and start teaching dance. She's just worried if what she's thinking is right and is unable to decide on it. Most of the people whom I talk to are unhappy in their jobs. There are all kinds... One having a bad boss, one wanting to do further studies but bothered about the fee, one wanting to get married and one who wants to get a job, post marriage.

I guess I cannot change my profession now. Instead what I am trying to do is spending time on other things which will give me a break from the routine. Cooking, reading, crocheting, are some of them. Few other things which have been on my wish list for long are, to learn to drive a car, gardening, to join singing classes again.

Kudos to people who are happy and enjoy what they do. For the ones who are yet to start, I would like to say take up something you are passionate about. For the rest, the ones like me - it's never too late they say. What say? We do something about it??

No comments:

Post a Comment