Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Heat is On

No... I'm not talking about the cricket World Cup. :-P I'm talking about the season. Summer's here. :-( Summer last year had been really tough for me. Having come to Chennai in April I was in for big trouble.

The numerous sleepless nights when sleeping right under the fan also made no difference. Times when I was almost in tears as there was a power cut in the middle of the humid night ( yeah now people must be rolling their eyes thinking "Aah... these people from Bangalore!!" ). But that's how nice it has been for me always. Having lived in Bangalore, I used to never used a fan even in summer, in fact always used a bedsheet. But things have changed a lot over the years there as well..

Here, I remember tossing and turning at night trying to fall asleep, washing my face umpteen number of times, the time when me and my roomies stood outside the house at two in the night as there was a power cut. I gave up sleeping on the bed and slept on the floor for three to four months.

We have just stepped into March and I dread to think about the period from April to July. I remember the words that my friend had told me when I had told him that I am going to Chennai. It was "there are just three seasons in Chennai, Hot, Hotter and Hottest". Though his words have been true to quite an extent, I have been lucky enough to have experienced nice rain here last year. :-)

Gone are the days when summer meant two month long vacations, playing throughout the day not bothering about the holiday homework until the last week of the vacation. The time when there would be at least three bottles of Mum made Rasna concentrate kept in the refrigerator, apart from the Roohafza, which only Dad liked. :-/ Now all that we do is try and reach the office early before it gets hot, spend the rest of the day in an air conditioned room and come back home after sunset. :-(

To all people living in places like Chennai, "all the best" and for the ones who are planning a long vacation to hill stations to beat the heat or better still, live in such places, "hmmph!! I am SO jealous". :-/

1 comment:

  1. Bangalore is no better! :(
    The heat is already oppressive and one can't step out in the afternoons!
    I miss my summer holidays too! :(

    ReplyDelete